Monday, July 02, 2007

Monterey Bay - Welome to the 2007 Season !

Dear Past and Future Volunteers,

I am so excited to finally be able to launch the 2007 Season. I am getting ready to travel cross-country to Monterey Bay where I will be from mid-July to the end of October. It has been a long year for me, full of changes and new adventures. I just moved to North Carolina...Wilmington to be exact where my husband and trusted Director of Field Operations, Peter Nilsson, whom you have all grown to appreciate and love, has started a new job at the University of North Carolina, working with Marine Mammals on the East Coast.

I am very excited for him, but I am sad to say that he will not b e joining us in the field this year although he will be hard at work on the upcoming bottlenose dolphin book and catalogue that we are putting together, ... so stay tuned....

Our wonderful Field Assistant and Coordinator Anna Janovicz is pursuing her career at Earthwatch where she has been promoted (and she deserved it greatly!). SHe also will not be able to join us in the field this year and I wish her the best of luck with her new adventures. Thank you for keeping the blog alive Anna!!!

Thank you to all others that have contributed to the Blog through the winter. It is amazing to see how many wonderful contributions many of our past volunteeres have made to conservation through their workplace or personally. Keep it going, because individuals such as yourself can really make a big difference in the world today.

My winter has been spent working hard as Director of Research at Earthwatch. After some thinking, I have decided to move on and dedicate myself full-time to research and teaching since these are the things I love the most. This means that I will be able to do a full-season in the field with the upcoming teams and to spend time with the animals. I am very excited!

I will be starting to post the news more regularly now and I am hoping to be able to give you a glimpse of the findings so far.....

I am looking forward to forge new friendships and to revive old ones. Please keep in touch through the blog.

Sincerely

Daniela

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Daniela

I am a scientist at Los Alamos National Lab and am planning to signup for either the Aug or Sept session. I'm looking forward to the research, and hope to chat with the team about an effort of mine to apply agent-based simulation to wildlife management.

A quick question for you: my wife would like to spend a few days with me in Monterey before the session begins, and might overlap with the session for a day or two. We would deal with the accommodation issue, but we were wondering if there would be any issue with evening activities. Assuming we had an evening get-together, would there by an issue if she joined us - or alternatively, if I missed an evening meeting on the first day or two?

This isn't a show-stopper - just wanted to get your thoughts.

Look forward to joining you soon.
Ralph Castain

Anna J said...

Hi Ralph,

It would be great to have you join the team in Monterey! The best way to communicate your questios would be to call Earthwatch at 800-776-0188. They will be able to get in touch with Daniela about your situation, as the blog won't be in full swing or checked regularly until the team starts in August.

Best,
Anna